From:
Heleen Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:06:22 +0100
On 12 Feb 2008 at 16:48, Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena wrote:

> Hi Jennifer and Sam and others,
>
> Sigh... I guess I still have to learn a lot about common practices
> surrounding birth in the US. A 95% induction rate...?!?! I don't know
> what it is here (Gonneke, Heleen, do you have statistics
> available...?), but it sounds incredibly high

I have found a document about induction in a hospital between 2000 and 2002
http://www.nvog.nl/files/15_vrouenraetsabstract.pdf
31% of women were induced for medical reasons, 13.6% had elective induction.

More about inductions (in Dutch)
http://www.azl.nl/4030/samenvattingen/200305/Gemund.html
Somewhere between 30-40% of women deliver at home, so to compare the numbers you
have to realise that the above percentages are of about 60-70% of the population.
So if 44% of 70% of women were induced in this particular hospital, about 30% of the total
population was induced.
---
Heleen Hayes, http://www.xs4all.nl/~hhayes