From:
Donna Kimick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:59:22 EST
Hi, everyone,
I recently meet this mom with a 7 week old - - - while selling her new
shields after she boiled the old ones, (she subsquently called to rent a symphony -
seeing the difference in the pumping time).  She also was interested in
finding if she could take some type of sleeping pills - since she basically gets no
sleep - she cannot calm herself and is constantly wired. Her baby groans alot
and she is always thinking that he needs to eat again soon, and it is becoming
a vicious cycle for her.  I feel bad for this mom -whatever she tries doesnt
work.  She also has a major over supply and strong let down.  I saw her pump
four oz in 2 minutes after nursing her baby, as he choked at let downs.  I
think this mom is close to some break down. I am not comfortable with knowing she
may literally "pass out " with meds as I am sure most of you agree. I told her
she may need to get some other type of help, a mother's helper (she just
moved into a remodeled house) and a cleaning service.  She cannot sit still and
cannot unwind.  My husband thought a recommendation of a glass of wine could
help, then I just read an article from Google (breastfeeding ) about a mom
suffering from postpartum psychosis and I wonder -(
http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/home/bal-hf.baby28mar27,0,1646499.story)
I told her to see her Internist to discuss what to do - and that if they had
any questions on medications that I could look it up for them on Hales site or
book.

Just wondering what experiences everyone else has had on this.

Donna Kimick
Intern LC
Long Island NY

 Donna
 The Homemaker's Idea Co. ® 2003 Art of Beautiful Living
"There's no Place Like Home"

"It's the lucky baby, I feel, who continues to nurse until he's two."
Antonia Novello, MD, MPH, DrPH
Surgeon General 1990-1993