Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2010 09:41:42 EST

Ingrid writes:

I just  spoke to a mom who mentioned that her four-week-old daughter has
several  blisters on her lips.  Has anyone come across this with use of nipple
 shields?  An allergy to silicone, perhaps?

~~~ I've seen babies with blisters or skin worn away on  their lips without
nipple shields, and it may be the same mechanism. Not an  allergy but a
friction injury from baby recruiting the perioral muscles around  the lip to
help out when the latch isn't deep enough/tongue doesn't have the  range or
power to do its job, thereby letting the lips rest. Watching this baby
breastfeed may bear this out or not, or mom can watch to see if baby's lip is
curling under or seems to be clamping to hold on during nursings.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY, USA