From:
Katharine West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 17:12:53 -0700
> Am I missing something here? Isn't Enfamil cow-milk based?
Like, duh!

However, if you ask mothers what they think is the source of the milk in
standard infant formula, most do not know it is cow's milk. (Go ahead -
start asking moms...I, too, was surprised at their lack of knowledge...)

> Talk about double-speak!
Really!

> >The American Academy of Pediatrics advises against feeding your baby
> cow's milk in any form -- whole, 2% or skimmed -- until his or her first
> birthday. Cow's milk is not recommended for babies for several reasons:

Obviously, what they meant to say is store-bought "for adult consumption"
milk - but it is pretty pathetic-funny.
However, in some fairness, the problems the AAP lists with "cow's milk" are
nonetheless addressed by the formula manufacturers to heat the protein so it
breaks into smaller sizes, to adjust the amounts of electrolytes, add
vitamins, etc, etc.

And so it is, what their copy could have done was just leave out "in any
form" - Talk about the need for a good editor - wuff!

Katharine West, RN, BSN,MPH
Sherman Oaks, CA