Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2010 14:19:55 -0500
Thank you Nikki Lee,

Below is part of the post that Nikki Lee wrote. If you have not read it, please take the time to do so. It is a very thoughtful, informative & helpful post. Beautifully stated Nikki.

Laura Hart, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Winter Park Hospital
Winter Park, FL

Mary Westra sends up a distress call.
I've been tackling this issue for years in the 18-hour Interdisciplinary
reastfeeding Management Course that I teach at the Health Department.
For one thing, it is a HUGE help to offer nursing contact hours. Nurses in
y state must have a certain number of contact hours for relicensure.
ecause we are the Health Department, the course is offered for a very low
ost, about one-third of the usual daily conference fee. This is a draw. I
et people calling because they need the contact hours and don't care what
he topic is....I aim my teaching to THEM, those with utterly no interest in
he topic.
Here's another good nursing research study: "Kangaroo Care at Birth for
full-term infants November/December 2007Walters, Boggs, Ludington-Hoe et al
MCH page 375"  There is a lovely comment in the article about how nursing
workload was not increased, and physicians found skin to skin to be
analgesic for mothers during perineal repairs.
*
*
All the S.O.F.T. stuff is another useful bit of nursing research. Do a
google search for S.O.F.T and you'll get to where you want to go.