From:
"Vincent G. Huml" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:58:05 EDT
Sue Huml, LLLL. IBCLC
Illinois
Lansinoh Laboratories

On Saturday June 15th '96,  Jan Barger wrote:

For what it is worth, I had my daughter (21 y/o) try the one & only totally
pure, etc. etc. lanolin -- she broke out in a burning, stinging miserable rash
within a minute or so, and since it isn't water soluble, had a horrendous time
getting it off.  And, no, she is NOT allergic to wool, and she does wear
lipstick.

So, a word to the wise -- regardless of the claims of the companies, there can
be a problem in individual cases.

On Monday 17th June '96 Sue Huml wrote:

Since the USP modified lanolin produced by the company I am associated with was
offered for use in 1989, millions of women have used this product and we have
never documented a case of allergic reaction.  At this breastfeeding mother
owned company, all customer feedback is taken very seriously and I have
forwarded the information Jan posted to our Medical Director.  Additionally we
have a responsibility to the professional literature to report any documented
reaction as this new information would challenge the existing scientific
documentation.

In order to fulfill our ongoing responsibility to our customers and to the
scientific community, it is imperative that Jan's daughter participate in a
formal patch testing procedure that would allow for clinical documentation to
confirm her daughter's allergic reaction to our companies' USP modified Lanolin.
Lansinoh Laboratories will underwrite the entire expense of this procedure to be
performed by a board certified dermatologist or allergist of her choosing.  In
order to assure absolute sincerity and integrity in this important issue, the
results of this testing will be posted on Lactnet.

September 16th 1996
In keeping with our promise to post the results of this testing on Lactnet,
please note the following:

Ms. Barger agreed to formal patch testing for her daughter, and personally
selected a dermatologist of her choosing to conduct the testing.

The formal testing was performed on her daughter and the  Medical Director, of
Lansinoh Laboratories, (Ralph Hagen, M.D.)  has received a written report of the
testing from Ms. Barger's Dermatologist who has informed Dr. Hagen that:

"Initially I did a close blinded patch test using Lansinoh ointment and
Petrolatum.  At 72 hours there was no reaction to either the Petrolatum or
Lansinoh.  I then had (name of patient) take home a sterile tube of the ointment
and apply it twice daily for one week to the right volar forearm.  Recent
follow-up again revealed that there was no reaction to the ointment.

I feel it is safe to say at this time that there is no documentation that (name
of patient) had an allergic reaction to the Lansinoh ointment."

It remains true that there has never been a single documented case of an
allergic reaction to the refinement of USP modified lanolin provided by the
company that I represent.  We welcome all inquiries or questions related to
safety and efficacy issues and will continue to provide USP modified lanolin
that is safe for use even by those who experience allergic response to other
grades of USP lanolin and, USP modified lanolins.

Sue Huml, LLLL, IBCLC
Lansinoh Laboratories