From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:49:47 -0500
I agree with Valerie who says this article sounds like it was written by a
formula company!  I could pick many things, but I will content myself with
commenting on one thing in particular.  Dontcha just hate it when someone is
quoted giving their opinion of something and it comes across as fact?!  Like
this,

And when moms do supplement, Dr. Sargent says that he is "unaware of any
evidence that using a bottle [versus supplementing using a cup or the SNS]
makes any difference ultimately in whether a baby becomes a long-term
breastfeeder."

To us, this doctor is revealing his lack of knowledge of research.  But to
the parents who read this article, it might as well say, "There is NO
research that using a bottle (versus supplementing using a cup or the SNS)
makes any difference ultimately in whether a baby becomes a long-term
breastfeeder."  We (the 'well-intentioned breastfeeding advocates' which I
always read as well-intentioned but ignorant) come across as fanatical and
dogmatic and concerned more with breastfeeding than the baby!  Does anyone
know if Dr. Neifert was quoted accurately in this article and if these were
truly her sentiments?  If so, can anyone explain why, according to her,

 my patients generally don't have this problem. It's a myth that
supplementing means the end of breastfeeding." That myth, she believes, has
been perpetuated by well-intentioned breastfeeding advocates who want to
inspire moms to breastfeed exclusively, but, she adds, "it's done a
disservice to moms and babies who, for whatever reason, are unable to do
so."

It would seem that everyone doesn't know about our rule, "Feed the baby".
It sounds like, to me, the mom in this story was perhaps started on the
right road, but did not receive adequate follow-up once an intervention was
started.  I've been guilty of this myself.  It's hard, once a mother leaves
the hospital, to follow up with her if there is no system in place to do
that.  I count on moms to call me back, and tell them so.  I'm sure they
don't always.  But, it does seem that, women should be able to be counted on
to seek the help they need, as has recently been discussed in this forum.
When they don't, it seems we get blamed.  I'm sure I'm not alone in
resenting this.

Marsha, who is remembering a bittersweet birth 19 years ago today and
sending balloons to heaven in memory of my "forever baby"...