Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 06:58:52 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
(1)  Run, don't walk, to banthebags.org.  There are many pages there that offer argument-for-argument responses to formula company ploys to get into the hopsital and in front of the nurses.  PRINT OUT the pages of interest.

(2)  I heartily endorse your argument that nurses shouldn't be "prescribing" formula.  And if the doctors are the intended target, find out what your hopsital's conflict-of-interest policy is with regard to taking gifts from pharmaceutical companies.

(3)  PRINT OUT a copy of the Cornucopia Institute's "Replacing Mother - Imitating Human Breast Milk in the Laboratory" which rather blows out of the water any notion that these additives are helpful; indeed they may be harmful.

(4)  During the presentation -- Smiling quietly, while you open your crinkly brown bag, eat your crsipy-lettuce-filled sandwich, and munch your fresh potato chips (or slurp your hot soup) -- you will listen.  Merely Listen.  But bring a big fat higlighter with you, and when the salesman says something irritating, find the section in your print-outs that addresses that notion, and highlight away.  

(5)  Don't let the salesman, or the other attendants, openly see what you're highlighting -- but don't try to hide it either.  Soon, the entire room will be concentrating more on what you are quietly doing that what the salesman is saying.

(6)  If you are directly asked what you're doing, just Smile Smile Smile and say "Oh, I'm learning about the risks of formula."  If pressed, just Smile Smile Smile and say "Oh, I'm not ready to share what I'm learning.  Maybe, Nurse Manager, we could schedule another required learning session for nurses to discuss what I learn?"
 Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLCWyndmoor, PA, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2