From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 19:09:19 -0500
Hi All,

Have a question about the anti-depressant Paxil.
My client is taking Paxil for severe PPD (She fought the urge to suicide).
 Her baby is 5 months old, and occaisionally will BF (another story!) so mom
pumps the majority of the time.  Her Dr. says that it is OK for the baby
since there is only a small amount of it going into the HM.  Tom Hale's book
"Medications and Mothers' Milk" says:

"Due to serious side effects, breast-feeding should be discouraged while
using this drug.      AHL=21 hrs.   PB=95%"

My client takes this drug as follows:   10mg immediately after FIRST pumping
in the morning.  Then 10mg immediately after LAST pumping at night.  So she
is taking a total of 20 mg per day.
Question: *  Is this a small enough amount so as ot to affect the baby?
               *  Is mom taking the med at the right time Re pumping ?
               *  Is there a better med than this for severe PPD?

Also, mom started by taking only 10mg per day, but after 1 1/2 weeks was
getting no relief, so Dr doubled meds.  Said he would adjust meds in 2 weeks
at her next appt.

Mom is also concerned about possible side effects of meds with baby, but
cannot go without something for the depression.

TIA!!
Jay