From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:26:05 -0500
I believe that an interesting take on this discussion would be to ask
those who support the use of stadol where the evidence is that shows
that it has no negative effects?

Placing the onus of responsibility back on those who are intevening
seems logical and necessary. Kathleen

to the Wise Ones:
Where would I be without the wealth of information Lactnet generates!

I have just heard of an issue that requires addressing. The majority of
our mothers have epidurals and /or Stadol. At the last Perinatal Meeting
one of theOBs who uses Stadol - as they all do - asked about the effects
this drug has on the babies. I am not sure why he asked, probably one of
the mothers we talked to about the possibility of Stadol affecting her
baby's non-performance at the breast mentioned it to him. The Nursery
Supervisor - who is very supportive of breastfeeding - pointed out that
the babies are drowsy and remain so for some time and that we have
noticed it particularly in reference to breastfeeding. Can anyone guide
me to references re the use of Stadol and it's effect on babies (my axe
to grind is of course breast feeding - it is hard to describe to an
obstetrician how hard it is to get a Stadol ( maybe it is the epidural-
how can one differentiate if the mothers get both?) recipient to
breastfeed if at best he can take the breast in to his mouth and then
not know what to do with it!!!) I know I am not alone in this dilemna
from reading previous posts - however the written word is important
here. Thanks in advance! Susan Brewer RNC IBCLC