From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 11:54:13 -0500
HI, Gail. Way to go! I'm totally certain that this kind of cheerleading for
breastfeeding is absolutely vital, and far more effective than "nagging" or
lecturing. How wonderful that it comes from someone with the magic "MD" at
the end of her name! Women just light up when someone with medical authority
tells them that they are doing something great for their babies, don't they?
Instead of having breastfeeding ignored or blamed for whatever's wrong.

Think of how rarely most of us hear that *anything* we're doing as mothers
is WONDERFUL! It seems to me that very often we are surrounded by people
telling us what to do differently, or additionally, or instead of, whatever
we are doing - it's unbelievably rare to hear someone say "what you are
doing is the best possible thing you could be doing" (and even more uncommon
to have that followed with the reasons why what they are doing is so good).
I know (because the moms told me so) that many times when I was at WIC, that
enthusiastic positive response from me and other nutrition staff to a
nursing mother was what kept her going.

RAh-rah indeed!

Cathy Bargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY