From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:31:04 -0500
I have not heard of a cleft nipple, but the current lactation science shows
us that if a mother has an open wound on her breast/nipple/areola, that
there is likely some type of bacterial infection in the breast/nipple as
well. I would recommend a milk culture for this mother, to rule out
bacterial infection, and pumping for a few days to see if healing can
ensue. I would also recommend the All Purpose Nipple Ointment of Dr.
Newman's as it can cover topical infection of fungal or bacterial origin.
See www.breastfeedingonline.com under problems and solution...or search the
archives.

Livingston V and Stringer J:  The Treatment of Staphyloccocus Aureus
Infected Sore Nipples:  A Randomized Comparative Study, J Human Lact  1999,
15(3):241-246.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html