From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 08:41:01 -0500
"if there are NICU moms pumping 9-12 oz every 3 hours, don't they need to
be instructed in reducing oversupply"?
I believe the quality and quantity of the milk supply at 6 weeks and later
on is dependent on an excellent supply initially.  So if we only asked
these breasts to produce the incredibly tiny amount needed originally for a
preterm baby, by the time the baby gets bigger mom will still be making
tiny amounts.  I think it is much easier to slow a supply down a little
than to boost it when the baby is older.  The extra milk can  go to milk
banks.  I believe Dr. Mom talks about the full hydrant idea for preemies
and babies with heart conditions.  Have the breast full and overflowing so
baby doesn't have to work too hard to get what s/he needs. An abundant
supply is a plus in these situations.  Tension and fatigue play a role in
this too.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ