From:
Gail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:33:35 -0800
Friend's new grandbaby is 10 days old today. Last Sat, baby had bili of 19.3 so was under bililights for 36 hrs till it came down to 15 and baby sent home I think Sun. night. Bili continuing to rise slowly every day all week, and today, Sunday it was  20.7 and doc said it's breast milk jaundice which I thought was an outdated term. Most of the docs I know don't believe in breast milk jaundice theories and do not tell the mom to stop nursing. This baby's doc now wants mom to stop breastfeeding for 3 days and only formula feed, with soy formula no less! Help! Mom is asking me for advice and I can't agree with the baby's pediatrician! Alk phos elvated but other liver function tests are normal.  Please give me some advice on what to tell my friend, who is also a nurse(and an attorney also. If possible, please email me privately at [log in to unmask] so I don't have to wait for a digest version to arrive in my email box-thanks so much in advance!!

Gail Neuman RNC CPHW
Perinatal education
Perinatal Nurse Associates
Tustin, CA