From:
Paula Ray Hiett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:30:58 -0500
Janet -

Several things come to mind, and you may have tried them already. 1.) If
you perceive that the baby is fatigued with feeds, which is common with
premies and interferron therapy - have you considered trying a contact
nipple shield. Now I know that direct breastfeeds are the goal, however,
the shield does decrease the workload on a fatigued newborn, and with mom
hand expressing behind the shield may transfer more milk. Babies wean from
the shield well when their strength builds  2.) try paced feedings with a
vacuum-free (ex. nuk #2 - medium flow) nipple to allow the baby to feed
with less distress. Barbara Wilson-Clay does an amazing presentation on the
benefits of paced feeds, and we have started using it in our NICU with
wonderful results.

Paula Ray Hiett RNC, IBCLC
Longview, Texas