From:
"Julia R. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:34:32 -0600
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I know this might seem like a really dumb question... but don't you have
>_any_ regulatory authority for media content in the USA?
>
>Surely there must be some regulation on medical/health standards in
>publications, somewhere?

Not that I'm aware of. It's more self-imposed. Some publications
strive to be accurate---a reputation for well-written and accurate
information still counts. Other publications . . . well, if people
are harmed by what's written, they have recourse through the courts.

I suspect lawsuits don't go very far though, because publications
often include some statement or another to the effect: "This
article/publication does not constitute or substitute for medical
advice. You should see your doctor for any medical concerns or
questions." It's the publications' escape clause---they told the
reader not to rely on their advice and, oh, silly reader went and did
it anyway! So, if something bad happens, well, it's the reader's fault.

However, don't show a nipple on TV. That is when the regulatory
hounds of Hell will be unleashed.

regards,
Julia

Julia R. Barrett