From:
sally myer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 13:33:17 -0700
As a L&D/postpartum RN I am astounded by the number of mothers who claim they want to breastfeed
and yet have the nurse take the baby so she can get a good nights sleep.  The babys of these mothers
frequently are fussy but not always.   There are some babys that seem to want to nurse nearly continuously or
at least they need the closeness of Mom that often.  Or they'll nurse for awhile, look like things are going well but
then come off the breast and cry. Of course I assess the latch to make sure it looks like that
is appropriate.  Some are and some aren't.  I do what I can to fix the latch but when it's 11:00PM and Mom is
tired she doesn't have the patience for it.  In alot of the cases the baby had gotten a bottle by a nurse earlier
in the day so I suppose the baby wants that nice fast flow when at the breast or else they are trying to bottle
feed at the breast, with their tongue in.
 When I encounter one like this  I always make sure she understands the principles of breastfeeding that
will be adversely affected by  doing so and in most cases she still wants the baby out.  I also teach mothers
how to nurse lying down so they can nurse and sleep but many, especially first timers, don't seem to want to
do that either.  I tell them I will bring their baby to them when they show feeding cues but after a couple times of doing
that many then say to feed the baby at the nursery.     So....to interfere less with getting baby
back to the breast in the morning I fingerfeed which seems excessive considering why it's being
done-because Mother doesn't want to be bothered. (Big Sigh)
How do you Baby-Friendly Hospitals do it?  (I'm sure not giving that first bottle would help!)
 I wouldn't think your Mothers are that much different than the ones we serve.  What do you do in the scenarios
I've described above?
Sally Myer RN, BSN, ICCE