From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:29:25 +0100
I posted on this mother and baby on Friday but have had no responses.  At that
time I had not observed any feeds.  Today they were in for a consult and after
observing him I am no wiser.

Baby is 10 weeks old, growing more rapidly in length than in weight but on
track
for both.  Social, active kid who is basically sunny except when he catches
sight of a breast.  Then he gets offended.  He feeds reluctantly, latching way
out along the nipple shaft rather than really taking a good mouthful of breast.
 No soreness or pain in mother, and supply is fine.  She seems to have a
powerful milk ejection reflex, as evidenced by baby never spending more than
about 5 minutes at the breast, and feeds are often interrupted by baby letting
go and letting milk spray around.  Frequently he will not latch on again
thereafter.

During the feed I observed today, there was milk leaking out around his mouth
on
all sides, and he was still swallowing audibly with each suck and didn't seem
be enjoying himself much.  After 20 ml (under an ounce) he let go and
steadfastly refused to take another drop for about 20 minutes, during which
time he also filled his diaper with a picture-book example of a healthy
breastfed baby stool and had a long "chat" with his mom.  His vocal
communication was striking for its variety and focusedness, esp. considering
his age.  Thereafter he returned to the breast for another very
few minutes.  Previous feed to this was over 3 hours earlier, when according to
mother he 'barely took anything'.  She pumped two ounces from the side he had
fed from, was not able to express any from the other side.  She is using a new,
hospital grade rental pump.
Baby was admitted to hospital from 1 Dec until 4 Dec, because he had been
refusing all food.  Gained over 6 ounces since 1 Dec, 4 oz of which were during
hospital stay, 2 since Saturday, of which only one-half ounce has been since
Monday the 6th.  Got only his mother's milk in hospital, and most of it from
the breast.  Mother feels it is difficult to get milk into him; he is just as
uninspired about bottles as he is about the breast.

Pediatricians think his total strike last week was due to a low-grade viral
infection, though that is more an educated guess than anything we can prove.
Bacterial infection has been ruled out after various tests and cultures.
Reflux is not suspected as he doesn't act the way they are accustomed to seeing
babies with reflux behave.  Keep in mind that reflux is a very rare diagnosis
here; I have never met a Norwegian baby on medication for it.

Any suggestions for how to make this mother's life easier, will be welcomed.  I
have suggested expressing milk before offering breast, to reduce pressure of
milk flow; also suggested upright positions for baby but he seems very
sensitive to anything new and different (had a v. hard time focusing on feeding
in my office where he was for the first time) and baby was not at all receptive
to trying it here today.

I expect to hear from her by Friday; hope there is someone out there with a
magic feather for us!

cheers
Rachel Myr