From:
Jamie Huddleston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:45:28 -0400
Diana,

I took the exam last year, while I also had a 10 month old who was
breastfeeding.  I made sure to put on my application my need for a place to
pump.  I was told I could not have any extra time if I needed to leave during
exam time to pump, which my schedule was to pump at 10, 12 and 2.  (usually
the 12:00 was to go see my daughter and nurse her)  But, the way the flow
of the exam worked, I was able to nurse before the exam, pump after the first
session, pump after the second and was still fairly comfortable.  I probably
could have pumped sooner, but the exam was too important for me to risk not
having time to finish.

I will say though, that when I called the exam site to arrange a pumping
place, I was told I would need to pump in the bathroom.  This wasn't
acceptable for me, so I put up a bit of a fuss and was given a room to pump
in.  I told the site administrator that I thought it ironic that they supported
breastfeeding, but was asking me to pump in a bathroom.  And, that they
wouldn't give a breastfeeding mother who had to pump time extension for the
time they had to pump- for example, adding 15 minutes to the end of the
exam if it took 15 minutes to pump.  So be it, I still passed!  And I still had
time to pump!

Good luck to you, hope you decide to take the exam this year!

Jamie Huddleston, IBCLC