Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:41:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Evi notified us of the new article on how our foods are getting sweeter and helping to contribute to the worldwide epidemic of overweight and obesity. Our foods are certainly getting sweeter and this starts at the beginning. Powdered Similac Isomil (Ross Product's soy formula) has an interesting ingredient list. I have a slide on this that I use in my breastfeeding and obesity lecture. The powdered version of Isomil has as its first ingredient 43.2% corn syrup solids. It also contains 10.3% sucrose - table sugar. So one half of each bottle of powdered Isomil is nothing but sugar. I would guess that most parents and clinicians have no idea about the sugar content of this formula. It is typically used if a baby is fussy or gassy - gas being elevated to a disease that stalks our children and requires special foods to eradicate its presence. Once the baby gets teeth, those little pearls are then soaked in a sugar solution all day. Mothers are urged to use this formula by cute ads promising that the baby will stop crying and be a happy smiling little trooper. Somehow there seems nothing to smile about when we look at the growing rate of infant and child obesity.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2