From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:40:16 -0400
First, I object strenuously to Tony Knox using this site for political
diatribe.  There are plenty of other chat rooms for such discourses.
Secondly, I am deeply offended by his criticism of American mothers for
their reactions to this situation. The number who died in New York City
alone far exceed the total lost from the ten worst cases of terrorism ever
experienced.  Many of our clients are STILL not able to return to their
homes in Battery Park City.  There are many women in this city who have
experienced the loss of family members, friends, their workplace, their
jobs, their homes and/or their sense of security. Belittling their very
real losses by comparing it with an even worse situation suffered by
Afghani women serves no useful purpose.  Neither situation is acceptable.

Moreover, I also find it offensive that he belittles those who are fearful
of anthrax. A good friend of mine works for the New York City Health
Department.  The threats from anthrax spread through terrorism cannot be
equated to the threats from anthrax spread from natural means. Being fully
informed about the risks and how to deal with exposure should it occur is a
sensible approach to this potential problem and that includes women who are
nursing.  Today we have two more cases and who knows how long this will
continue.

Having worked in Niger with infant and child mortality rates that was
second only to Afghanistan and often having consulted with consulted with
colleagues who have worked in war situations, I do not think that formula
is an appropriate and defensible solution. Infants are still better off
even if their mothers are practically starving and the solution would be to
feed the mother, not feed the infant formula. There is also the option of
wetnursing from relatives before resorting to formula.

As a New Yorker, who sees the ripples of continuing effects of Sept. 11th
on a daily basis, I cannot tell you how offensive I find Tony Knox's
comments about the women who have been affected by this crisis.

Susan E. Burger, PhD, MHS