From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:30:02 -0800
This study was first found on the www.celiac.com website.  It applies to
diagnosing children.  I have posted it to Lactnet before.

I had oversupply while breastfeeding both my daughters.  Later, in my 40's,
I was diagnosed with CD.  Some countries are now using prolaction testing to
diagnosis CD in children in the absence of more expensive and invasive small
intestine biopsy.  I wonder if the higher levels can be used to diagnose
adults?  It could very well explain the oversupply.  Whether changing the
diet to a gluten free diet could down-regulate the breastmilk oversupply
should be explored.
Judy

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/oup/tropej/2004/00000050/00000001/art0
0037

Serum Prolactin in Celiac Disease
Authors: Kapur, Gaurav1; Patwari, A. K.1; Narayan, Shashi2; Ananda, V. K.1
Source: Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, Volume 50, Number 1, February 2004,
pp. 37-40(4)
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Abstract:
Serum prolactin levels (SPL) were estimated in patients with celiac disease
(CD), diagnosed as per ESPGAN criteria, on unrestricted gluten containing
diet (group 1), as well as those consuming a gluten-free diet (GFD) (group
2). Forty-one children with CD, with 20 cases in group 1 (mean age 5.67 ±
2.14, range 2.5–10.5 years) and 21 cases in group 2 (mean duration of
follow-up 2 years, range 1–4 years), and 41 age- and sex-matched controls
were studied. Hyperprolactinemia was defined as serum prolactin >18 ng/ml in
males and >24 ng/ml in females. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopic biopsy was
performed in both study groups for initial and follow-up evaluation.
Hyperprolactinemia was detected in all the patients of group 1 and one
patient of group 2 who had severe villous atrophy. The SPL in group 1 (mean
48.3 ± 17.4; range 20–90 ng/ml) and group 2 (mean 18.3 ± 6.9; range 10–39
ng/ml) was significantly higher compared with the controls (mean 9.3 ± 4.5;
range 2.4–20 ng/ml; p < 0.001). Among the patients with CD,mean SPL in group
1 was significantly higher than in group 2 (p < 0.001). In group 1, there
was a positive correlation between SPL and duration of symptoms (p = 0.006,
r = 0.768) and age of diagnosis (p < 0.001, r = 0.842). A positive
correlation also existed in group 2 between SPL and degree of villous
atrophy (p < 0.001, r = 0.71) and lamina propria infiltrate (p < 0.001, r =
0.568). Our results suggest that SPL has a significant correlation with
activity of CD. Therefore serum prolactin estimation may provide an
additional marker of disease activity in CD and may be a more viable option
economically.
Document Type: Research article
Affiliations: 1: Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition,
Department of Pediatrics, Kalawati Saran Children's Hospital, New Delhi,
India 2: Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Department of
Pathology, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi 110001, India