From:
"Susan C. Jacoby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:36:38 +0000
"Advertising is a powerful force in American culture. It exists to sell
products and services."

Thus begins the AAP's Policy on Children, Adolescents and Advertising
(RE9504) in which the AAP warns agains undue influence by commercial
interests through advertising.

How fascinating that the AAP acknowledges the innappropriate influence of
such advertising, including (and noteworthy in this instance) the use of
"passive" advertising such as "logos and banners."   They
acknowledge- warn, in fact,  that the use of logos and other displays of a
company name is an insidious form of advertising when OTHERS do it, while at
the same time they are providing an elegant method for such commercial
advertising in plain view on their VERY OWN breastfeeding book!

But hey- I can just hear their protestations that IN THIS CASE the babies
for whom this book is written can't read anyway, so why should we care?
Hmmm...do they know how many adolescent mothers will recieve a copy of their
logo-tainted book?

Bottom line for me is this: If we can't trust them to respect their OWN
Hippocratic Oath, why should we expect them to quibble about taking money in
exchange for influence?  It is not Ross Labs to whom we should express our
dismay, -their job is to sell formula.  On the other had, what is the job of
the AAP?   You have heard of Media Whores?  These are Medical Whores.

Sue Jacoby, IBCLC
Clovis, CA