Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2018 13:48:02 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Kika says:
I´ve been asked to write a piece for a local newspaper about the birth ofJesus. I would like to ask if anyone on the list can tell me or point me toan accurate source of what would have been culturally expected for givingbirth and initiating breastfeeding in Israel around the year 1 AD...*********************************************
I have thought about this so much -- actually wrote a story giving "my" version of the birth about 35 years ago.  First of all, I agree with Pat that she probably kept him skin to skin much of the time, but I do think they swaddled their babies if they weren't holding them.  Secondly, I suspect that the manger was a rather large trough if you think that donkeys and cows and others were eating out of them, so I suspect it was large enough for all three of them.  Thirdly, I don't think Joseph was present for the birth, but rather that there were midwives to attend to the actual birth -- he was probably off making peanut butter sandwiches for everyone...I suspect she breastfed him whenever he showed feeding cues as she didn't have either an Apple watch or a Similac app to keep track of times or feedings...
I've often wondered if there were other family members there as well -- Mary's mother, for example? 

We have a manger scene up, and I'm able to put Jesus in Mary's arms, and have consigned the manger itself to the "loft" part of the stable. 

But, Kika -- this is my imagination, not factual or historic.  Please do let us know what you find out!!!
Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCALactation Education ConsultantsWheaton IL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2