From:
Kathie Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:01:18 +0000
Over strong MER?

From: Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Puzzling situation

This question came up on FB Lactnet and I thought it deserved a wider search on regular Lactnet.  Any good ideas to share with Karen?  Thanks, I'll pass any info n to her.  Pat in SNJ

I feel like this odd question comes up somewhat often at WIC. Today I got a call from one of my colleagues at a local hospital who did a follow up call with a mom and didn't know what to tell her and then asked her to call me. She will be seeing another IBCLC in our office Wednesday, but in the meantime I want to brainstorm with all of you, because these moms always stump me. Mom was ebf for first two weeks, then baby began to projectile vomit breast milk, yes even from a bottle. Diapers were dropping so mom started some formula. Baby is fine with formula (so unlikely it's a dairy intolerance) but still vomits ever time she is put to breast. I gave mom some ideas from racking my brain and told her to let me know but I want to know if you have any other thoughts. It sounds like mom has an over supply, so I am wondering if even in the bottle the milk is "thin" and harder to hold down. I suggested a full pump followed by a breast feed. Trying mixed formula and breast milk. Trying skimming fat off milk and mixing this with a small amount of other milk to see how baby handled these things. The mom reports baby drinking slowly from bottle and taking more formula then breast milk. Any other suggestions? FYI mom is on Keflex but that hasn't changed since birth.