From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:44:01 -0000
>Dr. Sears told everyone at the LATCH Conference in Cheseapke, Va. that
he is on the Board of Directors of Wyeth<

I don't know what topic Dr Sears spoke about at this conference.

In my organisation we have discussed the issue of going to conferences where
some speakers are sponsored by a company with an interest in infant
feeding -- especially a company which makes/ distributes products covered by
the scope of the WHO code.  I think we agreed that there is no reason to say
'we never go to hear these speakers', but we would always advise caution in
applying what they say to our understanding of breastfeeding and our work.

If I were to go to a conference where one of the speakers were a director of
a company which make breastmilk substitutes in the global market, I would
certainly be wary of what she/he had to say.  If Dr Sears' information is
good [as an ex-pat who left the USA in the late 70's, I have barely heard of
the man], then it is a pity that the dissemination of it is going to be
poisoned by his new alliance.  Because I think it is valid to question the
utterances of a director of a BMS company on breastfeeding issues.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK