From:
Brian Maves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 02:03:25 +0900
I was surfing the web and hit on this website.  I found this breastfeeding
information abominable (and made sure I told them so...I even offered to
re-write it!)
The URL is <http://www.ichelp.com/preg.html>

Sorry about the length,
Gina Gile-Maves
LLL Leader; Misawa, Japan

<snip>
After the Baby Arrives

Mothers with IC should give special consideration to issues involved in the
decision to breastfeed or bottlefeed the baby.

There are significant advantages to breastfeeding, but new mothers often
need determination and strong support to succeed at it. Breastfeed infants
receive immunity to an array of common infections and have lower incidence
of food allergies, and a variety of other common problems. The experience
of breastfeeding is often profoundly positive for the mother. In addition,
some patients who were not symptomatic in pregnancy have reported prolonged
remission until breastfeeding was discontinued.

For IC patients, there are some disadvantages to breastfeeding. Studies
have shown that virtually any drug taken by the mother passes to her baby
through the breast milk. Several drugs used to treat IC can have serious
known or unknown effects on the breast-fed baby. Patients who experience a
flare in symptoms during pregnancy or after delivery may wish to resume
their previous medications or helpful therapies as soon as possible after
the birth, and may choose to bottlefeed for this reason. Other mothers who
began breastfeeding later abandon it in order to resume medication when
symptoms flare. Lack of sleep may be another consideration. Bottlefeeding
by others can give you the opportunity to take naps or have extended sleep
at night. Breast milk can be expressed or formula can be used so that
others can help.

Although there are many advantages to breastfeeding, an IC patient should
not feel pressured to do so by family, friends, doctors, or breastfeeding
advocacy groups. Ultimately, tbe (sic) mother with IC should make the
decision based on her individual desires and circumstances. <snip>