From:
Margot Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 23:15:07 +0100
 This is just an item of interest but of no particular use:
In 1988 or '89 my husband was hosting a visit from Dr Mognen Schou to
Cornell Medical School. Dr Schou is the Danish psychiatrist who did the
first double blind study to support  Dr John Cade's discovery of Lithium as
a treatment for bipolar disorders (manic - depression).My husband,John,
took Dr Schou and his wife out to dinner. I came along too.  I asked Dr
Schou what happens to breastfeeding mothers who need lithium in Denmark? He
said, "If they want to breastfeed it's their choice. It doesn't seem to
hurt the babies." I was amazed and questioned him further, telling him that
here, in the USA, doctors would recommend weaning from the breast with use
of the medication for fear of litigation. He responded with the bias that I
wish all doctors had, "Breastfeeding is best for the baby. I tell  mothers
that we don't know how this drug acts or what its long term impact might be
on the baby. But it's the MOTHER'S choice!"  I am paraphrasing but I
remember this converstaion well. He was obviously indignant that a weaning
might be DEMANDED of the mother. Bless his heart and soul!
I'd hoped there'd  be a larger knowledge base today than 8 or 9 years ago
but it's still inadequate. Mothers  have routinely weaned to take lithium,
I suppose, so studies wouild be hard to do. We are left to deal with the
medical advice of doctors largely directed by their biases in favor of
breastfeeding or much more commonly only too happy to let it go. It's great
to see a cautious pro BF bias on lactnet. Keep it up!
Shalom, Margot C.Mann IBCLC New York.