Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 01:35:17 -0500
Dear Rob,
I hope this will help. What I actually said was:

"Then I demonstrate optimal latching technique, and go over the usual
pitfalls to avoid, ie. the difference between tummy *facing* tummy and tummy
*against* tummy."

What I meant here is that many times a mother or HCP will describe that the
baby is positioned "tummy to tummy." When looking at the positioning before
my eyes I see that the baby's abdomen is about two-three inches away from
mother's ribcage. This usually means baby is not close enough to the breast
either. Yes, the baby is often on a pillow but sometimes placed *on* the
abdomen. This is very easy to happen in the first days as many women still
have a very large abdomen. That is why I point out the importance of having
the baby very close. Tummy "against" not just "facing."  The mother should
feel so "as one" with the baby that she could feel quite secure to stand up
and hold baby in position. (Don't worry... I don't suggest this as a test).
I just find that the clients I see respond well to more specific
descriptions. Maybe I should call it "torso to midriff?" ;-)

Anne Kirkham IBCLC

P.S. For more info see the book "Bestfeeding" Arms, Fisher & Renfrew. Also
Kittie Franz's work and Jack Newman's 'Sore nipples' handout.