Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 07:40:48 +0200
Reconnected to Lactnet after 2 weeks of computer withdrawl, and this
thread reminds me of a study done in the late 70's early 80's by
Woolridge and Baum.  I think I heard about it in a lecture that David
Baum gave here in Israel in the 80's.  they did a study in Thailand
where they wanted to find out how often a baby feeds if given ad libitum

access to the breast.  I think that their results were something like an
average of
17x an hour, and one of the interesting things they discovered was that
there was no such concept as as colic in their language or culture.
Anyone remember that study?
I often use that story just to show moms the normalcy of frequent
feeding, and even the advantage of it.
Today there will be lots of babies born in cars in Israel.....there is a

truckers' strike blocking the highways.  I can maybe do some
street-corner lactation consulting!!
Esther Grunis, IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask]