From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 17:12:00 PST
A mom in her 9th month showed me a skin tag at the end of her nipple
(unilateral). She said its always been this way, except that now it
appears to want to come off more than before. It really is just a little
bit of skin hanging off the tip. It hurts when anything brushes against it.
I gave her breast shells to wear in her bra (she was going bra-less at
the time) using the large back.
Do you think there will be problems with breastfeeding?
 About 20 years ago my sister  lost a piece of nipple in approximately
the same spot due to positional sore nipples; she was in excruciating
pain for six weeks and although we were determined to breastfeed no
matter what, we had no clue as to how to rectify the problem. We thought
that it was "normal" to suffer for six weeks, and then everything would
be fine. This was based on the very scientific study of an anectodal
experience! In retrospect, we know that she was presenting the breast
using the scissors hold, and the problem might have abated with a simple
change of hand position. Ah me. She did breastfeed for quite a long time,
and indeed breastfed all six children. There were minor problems with two
others, but by then, I was much more knowledgable and was able to correct
them very quickly. Determination does go a long way....
TIA for help re: skin tag.

Pearl Shifer, IBCLC
Brooklyn, NY