Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:17:43 EST
Pam reports on a mom that has no MER on left side.  Pam -- I wonder if she
simply has no MILK on the left side?  That it isn't an issue of MER, but an
issue of supply.

I (N of one -- and one of the reasons I'm an IBCLC) had NO milk on the left
side with my third baby.  We, to this day, 18 years later, have never figured
out why.  The left side is my favorite nursing side since I'm right handed.
I always started him on that side, pumped more on that side -- didn't make
any difference.  One time I got 3 cc when pumping -- generally I got drops,
at best.  My only clue is that I had a mastitis on the left side (not a
terrible one either) with my second child which decreased the milk on that
side -- which never came back up to "robust" after the mastitis.  Was there
some scar tissue there?  I have no idea.  Mammograms have all been normal,
nothing to suggest a problem.

With my third (Tim -- the home birth with no electricity and no midwife --
remember him?), I never felt as though my milk "came in" though obviously it
did.  But it was never robust and nothing on the left.  The right didn't
produce all that he needed -- I did have to supplement.  This was 18 1/2
years ago....today I would use an SNS (I rigged up my own with a feeding tube
and syringe), and get on some galactogogues post haste, and pump even more
than I did then....but what I/we all know now, and what I/we all knew then
are worlds apart.

So -- odd as it may seem, it CAN happen that there is no milk on one side.
I'd certainly have her checked out by someone, but I wouldn't look to MER as
the issue per say, since the oxytocin doesn't only go to one breast at a
time.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com