From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:15:52 -0300

>It helps me to realize that people do the best they can with the
>resources they have. Knowledge is a resource, so are time, emotional
>support, ability to withstand anxiety and fear, money, etc. Some people
>who can't even think of bf are just too afraid to trust their bodies, or
>have had traumatic experiences that they don't have the resources to
>face yet.

Beautifully put, Catherine. It helps me to realize that "cannot" does
not have to do with some objective measurement of the ability of the
body to produce milk, but rather with the picture of the whole person.
We can never know everything that goes into making a person who she is,
what she has experienced, what her personal limits are.
Your feelings of sadness and inadequacy are, I think, true proofs of
empathy for the mother's feelings of sadness and inadequacy, so give
yourself lots and lots of points for empathy. In my opinion, empathy's
the best quality a breastfeeding support person can have -- and probably
the best for any human being!
Jo-Anne