From:
Nova Brygger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 01:07:58 -0400
Good day. My name is Nova Brygger. I am yet another Ivy Tech Nursing
Student seeking some input.

I do not really have a question. I merely would like to present some
information and receive feedback. I would also like to get any information
available about programs that exist or that follow what my research seems to
imply. I pondered for quite sometime what my inquiry for this assignment was
going to be. I researched health problems that affect breastfeeding, diseases
and disorders, and rare breastfeeding anomalies. Yet, in the end, what I
decided was the biggest diversion against successful breastfeeding is this:
lack of support on a personal, professional, and community basis. That being
said, I decided to research what was being done about this foremost problem.
It is my desire to get responses and combine this with my instructor’s
breastfeeding advocacy to make a difference in the well being of lactating
mothers and their infants.

As a health professional it will be my desire that we must all do our part to
allow our clients to live life to their full potential. I believe there may be some
confusion among many that breastfeeding is only a conversation that should
be brought up to a pregnant or postpartum mother. This long seen approach
may be productive, yet it does not seem to be enough.

I understand that even if I, for example,  become an ER nurse, I may be the
first to present breastfeeding to a mother (or caregiver) even if his/her only
complaint is the flu. I also realize that as a member of American society, I can
make a difference with the support of breastfeeding mothers.

One of the ideas I found was educating students at a middle and high school
level about breastfeeding and the benefits of breast milk. This approach, at
least to me, seemed like one that could have a great impact on society as a
whole. This is evidenced by the anti-smoking campaign. This campaign began
as at a prepubescent/adolescent level to prevent new smokers and has
spread to adults including the workplace and public facilities (Brown University,
2005). As with tobacco use, some restaurants and public facilities may be
more prone to follow suite with the media and public demand (Glantz, Ling,
Neilands, 2007).

Another trend shown by the anti-tobacco campaign is that being a non-
smoker/former smoker is now the new norm (Cunningham, Selby, 2007). This
same effect may work with breastfeeding vs. artificial breast milk. Television
ads, editorials, and public attitude may be great forums to educate the public
of the benefits of breast milk. Society may not understand that breastfeeding
is really about breast milk and is not necessarily anti-bottle. This approach
may seem less threatening to a mother that feels uncomfortable about or is
unable to breastfeed directly. Advertising breast milk banks and encouraging
their use may be the best approach.

I know that this information may not be new, but the approach may be. I am
very interested to know what is being done to encourage this change at a
local/national professional level.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Resources:

Brown University Digest of Addiction Theory & Application (July, 2005). Anti-
tobacco advertising linked to reduced smoking. 24, 7, p10.

Cunningham, J.A, Selby, P.L. (2007, August). Implications of the Normative
Fallacy in Young Adult Smokers Aged 19-24 Years. American Journal of Public
Health. 97, 8, pp1399-1400.

Glantz, S.A., Ling, A., Neilands, T.B. (2007, August). The Effect of Support for
Action Against the Tabacco Industry on Smoking Amoung Young Adults.
American Journal of Public Health. 97, 8, pp 1449-1465.

Lawson, M. (2007, March). Contemporary aspects of infant feeding. Pediatric
Nursing. 19, 2, pp39-45.