From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:23:51 +0100
Heather,

Nursing Matters had a recent contact from a young mother who's
exclusively breastfed baby had been taken off her in the streets, by
Social Services - they'd literally pulled the baby out of her arms and
jumped into a car with it.

There was an involved legal issue, about the Child Protection Register,
which I won't go into, but which prevented anyone but a lawyer and the
local MP from getting involved (the baby was not at risk, but the
paperwork was in place regardless).  However, the truly shocking part of
this, is that when the mother finally got access to the baby a few days
later - at Social Services - she was asked not to breast feed the baby
as it had only started taking the bottle, and they didn't want the
breastfeeding to confuse the baby.  She refused this request, and fed
the baby, and continued to do so for every access visit, and to pump to
maintain supply.  But within six weeks, the baby was refusing the
breast.  It was clear that Social Services didn't approve of this young
mother breastfeeding and bed sharing, and they did all they could,
including removing the child, in order to accomplish weaning. There was
a minor victory, as Social Services had to pay out for pump hire to
maintain supply, once enough breastfeeding support agencies had piled in
to protest, but with the baby in care and only seeing Mum 4 days out of
7.... breast refusal was almost inevitable after a few weeks.  She was
not an asylum mother - just a normal everyday teenage Mum who had
authority issues.

I'm still so angry I could spit.. but I keep it out of my head, and my
heart, as much as I can.

Morgan Gallagher
www.nursingmatters.org.uk