From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 06:28:33 -0500
Lori, This is a situation that is unfortunate, but it is not lost, re:
BF. I would suggest getting the baby to breast, perfect the latch, and
if the mom needs to pump make sure she is using a double pump often
(hospital grade).  If the baby needs supplementing, use a feeding tube
at breast.  Domperidone can be used to increase supply, if it fits with
the rest of her medical situation.  I'd try to make breastfeeding as
normal as possible, given the situation where everything else is awry.

Kathleen

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

Hello everybody,
This is my first time posting and I am hoping that I can get some good
info to pass along to this Mom. I am taking care of a preemie and Mom
who are 5 days post partum.  Prior to delivery Mom had gallbladder
surgery and in error her main bile duct was clamped.  she ended up
losing her gallbladder and has some liver damage. Presently she has two
drains that are full of bile.  I asked her if the doctors are concerned
for her electrolyte balance since she is losing so much fluid.  She has
to have labs checked every 2 days.  My question is, will her milk supply
be affected by all of this trauma and daily fluid and electrolyte loss?
She also has had a lumpectomy on the right breast near the nipple. The
little amount she is able to pump out strictly is from the left breast.
She is able to pump 2cc per pumping on average.  She is exhausted and
concerned for her baby who is on a vent but doing better.  I know she
was not physically able to start pumping until over 24h post partum.
Breast feeding is very important to her and she is willing to do what it
takes.  I want to be supportive of her health but also want to help her
get her milk in. So, any help, suggestions are needed. Thanks in
advance, Lori Lindsey, RNC IBCLC