From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:19:45 -0500
I just wanted to clarify some comments made about some statements in my last post.  Karleen said,

<<Someone mentioned that LCs might want to read Gary Ezzo's writing and thus by buying his books help support him.  Well heck, why not give him a table at conferences, that way you can go right to the source and ask the man himself! Facetious I know but surely the story he has to sell is no more
insidious than some of the companies mentioned.>>

What I said was that some people bought Ezzo's book to find out what's in it and that does support him.  I am not condemning those that did, though I didn't.  In fact, I am grateful to them for they alerted us to the content and enlightened us to this threat to breastfeeding and to children.  By the
time I became aware of the controversy, enough was posted that I didn't have to buy the book to get the info, but I certainly think someone *had* to in order for us all to know.  Right?  I am offended by the inference that this is the same as inviting him to come to a conference and set up a booth.
There is not a one of us who would recommend his book or his method.  However, there are reasons mothers use bottles and the other paraphernalia.  Legitimate reasons. Good reasons. There are also legitimate reasons for us to recommend their use to a mother.  This is comparing apples to oranges,
IMHO.  She also said,

<<If there really is such a great need for LCs to know all about these products surely somewhere there is someone who knows about breastfeeding who has an interest in BF gadgets and pumps etc who can help provide an opportunity at such conferences to learn about these products. Much like Valerie
keeps an eye on the vested interest in genetically engineering of human milk conponents. It is much better to hear her than to go to Martek for instance don't you think?  The manufacturers, with their vested interest are not the ones to listen to.>>

First, this still means someone has to buy this stuff.  Who's going to do it?  You?  Me?  And who will spend their time and money going around to conferences to set up a booth and tell all of us about the products?  This way, the company spent some of their marketing budget on us instead of mothers
directly.  Second, please give me credit for not "listening to" what the sales person says about the product.  Just because they say it doesn't mean I am going to buy into it.  If it serves them to show their stuff at our conference (hoping we will recommend it), and it serves me to see it (because
I can learn what moms are getting and determine the pros and cons of these items) I see that as a win-win situation.  I don't care why they are there to show their stuff, I will look at it for my own purposes.  I have not served them, it seems to me, but they have served me.

So, enough about all this.  I must say, I was privileged to share a ride to the airport with Maureen Fjeld, the new president of ILCA and Maya Lowrie, a board member and all I could think is, I'm so glad they are willing to do this job.  I wouldn't.  I couldn't take the criticism or the pressure.
My hat is off to them!  BTW, I LOVED the conference!!!

Marsha

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.