From:
CarouselKR <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:45:43 EST
Hi all--
        I used to be much more hands on but with universal precautions, I started to
not put my finger in baby's mouth so much, and show mom how to do this instead
(of course, if I am doing an assessment, that's a different story, but I
talking about calming a baby or waking it with sucking). From this, I find
that teaching the mom "how to" goes a long way in her feeling that she can do
this without feeling that she needs me, the LC, to come home with her.
        The same holds true for eliciting a rooting response, getting that wide gape,
etc. I do sometimes place my hand over the mom's hand (when using cross-cradle
or clutch holds, in which baby's head is supported by mom's hand) and help her
to either bring the baby in close or keep the baby there. But I generally want
mom to feel that she has done this on her own, as I am not going to go home
with her.
        I will demo positions by holding her baby to me, but then encourage her to
imitate. Usually, I just assist her to position the baby, and then help with
getting the pillows in place.
        Remember the adage from the 60's--"if I give a man a fish, he eats for a
day...if I teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime" [my kids never
understand this quote, but I'm sure all of you will!] Empowering the mom to
"do it herself" will go a long way, in my humble experiences.

Kathy Rubin IBCLC RNC in NJ (still plugging my way through grad school--4 more
courses after this one! and now, I've found a new program to follow this
one!!!)