From:
Jackie Kampp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:12:46 -0700
The only problem that has arose from drinking unpasteurized cider is the source: namely where do the apples come from, the ground or the tree?  If you are quite sure the apples are not picked up off the ground and being pressed- then have at it....last year there were several cases of e-coli transmission in California due to unpasteurized cider(being a native New Yorker I have to say the cider is  not as good here....).  Since I hear all about these cases I have decided to go the pasteurized route.....and I miss it!

Jackie Kampp, RN, PHN, CLC
transplanted California foothiller but"an East-Coaster at heart"

>>> Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]> 09/12/00 06:12AM >>>
>Had a call from a mom who asked if there would be any problem for her
>baby if she drank unpasteurized apple cider.  Baby is totally breastfed,
>not sure of the age.

Can't remember who it was I was talking with last year - someone at Food
Science here at Cornell University, I believe (I was concerned that they
might take away my beloved unpasteurized cider but they haven't).  Whoever
it was said there's never been a problem with unpasteurized cider in upstate
NY.  He/she (can't remember!) said the furor has been another example of
poor "relative risk recognition" - people may panic about their cider and
not wear a seat belt for example - and the risk is actually quite low.

Give that, what happens if the mom *does* drink bacteria-ridden cider?  I
would think the only risk might be that she herself could conceivably get so
sick and dehydrated that her milk supply would drop temporarily.

I'd say drink the cider and wear the seat belt :-)

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY, delighted to be back on lactnet
after so-o-o-o many months!