From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:07:28 -0500
>In addition, in ultra-Orthodox circles, there is a strict code of physical
>modesty, which many women find makes nursing in public very difficult.
We lived in Israel a number of years ago and I worked in the
chilbirth field among religious and non-religious Jewish women.
I did not do research on the issue, but my personal experience was
that modest dress did not stop women from nursing. The attitude
seemed to be "That's how  babies eat and the rules of modesty
weren't designed to prevent babies from eating." BF was also used
as a method of birth control, or child spacing as well.

>Jessica, perhaps this is only true in Jerusalem, where I have spent the most
>time, but I could not help  but notice the very high rates of pacifier
>use(seemingly almost universal).  Do you think this is related to the time
>demands of a large family, or are there other  cultural factors at work?
I don't think this has anything to do with religious practice or family
size.
Families with two kids also use pacifiers. It's part of the culture in
general in Israel.

  Naomi Bar-Yam