Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 15:23:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I think one of the first ten posts I sent to LN was on this topic, in 1999.  I was quickly apprised of the necessity to avoid discussing ritual circumcision on the list because it generates much emotional heat and very little light.  
As circumcision is performed in US maternity wards, it does seem to have a negative impact on the establishment of breastfeeding and this should be included in whatever information parents are given to aid their decision on the issue.  Circumcision of male infants is still permitted in the US as far as I know, please correct me if this has changed.  

Beyond that, this list is not the place to discuss the arguments for or against male infant circumcision, nor the various forms it takes.  We have a lot to learn from one another about breastfeeding and if we let our focus expand to include this highly explosive topic, we will not be able to learn about breastfeeding either.  I am in no way saying that we don't have things to teach one another about the practice of male infant circumcision, but this list is not the place where it is going to happen.  Like it or not, that's reality.  Please feel free to continue your exchanges *off the list*.

for the listmothers
Rachel Myr

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2