From:
Debbie Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:13:14 -0700
I've found lanolin to be a horrible lubricant during pumping because it's so
tacky.  I suggest moms use a drop of olive oil around the edge of the barrel
for such purposes, and the feedback is very positive.  Extra light olive oil
is odorless.

When you say that nipple tissue just appears in the flange and rubs along
the side, are you saying that the nipple swells?  Moms with very soft
nipples can have this happen.  As Medela has explained, having the tissue
touch the sides of the barrel doesn't necessarily make it too small; it's
whether the tissue seems to get stuck in place in the barrel, like a cork,
that determines whether the larger size is better.  The nipple should extend
and retract with every suck, even after pumping for several minutes, not
getting stuck anywhere in the flange...but the barrel shouldn't be too large
either.  I've tried using a larger size flange on moms like this, and notice
that too much areola gets pulled into the flange, exacerbating the problem
and reducing the output even more.  You might be able to verify too large of
flange by watching for a ring to appear a few mm away from the base of the
nipple after pumping.  It's like the nipple will take up however much space
you give it because it's so soft.  Moms with this soft of tissue do really
well with manual expression -- have you tried that?  It would also help you
find the "sweet spot" on mom's areola for getting the milk out, to best
position baby for latch.

BTW I agree about needing a 33mm flange.

Debbie Gillespie, IBCLC, LLLL
Tempe, AZ