From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 00:51:41 +1000
Was our Japanese colleague (sorry, have zapped the post) referring to the
enteromammary and bronchomammary circulation? See the WHO text, Infant
feeding the Physiological basis, which EVERY LC should have..I described it
in BF Matters as follows: "Not until the late 1970s was it realised that if
the mother was exposed to some antigen, specially primed cells [sensitised
lymphocytes] would migrate to the breast [from the Peyer's patches in the
gut, lymphoid tissue] and produce antibodies to be excreted in her milk.
This means that if mother and baby are exposed to some infection, the
baby's under-developed immune system does not have to fight infection
unaided. The mother's milk will soon provide a dose of the specific
antibody needed, as well as all the usual non-specific antibiotic factors.
More recent research indicated that as well as this enteromammary axis72,
there is a bronchomammary73  one as well -- that is, if the mother is
exposed to infection via her respiratory tract, cells will migrate to the
breast, and antibody be fed to the baby. Mother's milk is good medicine, as
well as good food." Since I know you'll want references:
72. W.A. Walker Effect of colostrum on the maturation of intestinal host
defences, in Lebenthal (reference ) p. 234-5.
73. J.Bienenstock et al A common mucosal immunologic system involving the
bronchus, breast and bowel. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 1978, 107, 53-88; M.
Fishaut et al Bronchomammary axis in the immune response to respiratory
synticial virus. J. Pediatr. 1981, 99, 2, 186-91.

For how to get copies of Mandy and Matt, Heather Harris's lovely (and
cheap) little video on co-bathing and attachment, e-mail Heather direct on
Enough again. Cheers, Maureen

Maureen Minchin, IBCLC
5 St, George's Rd., Armadale Vic 3143 Australia
tel/fax after March 1: 61.3.95094929 or 95000648