From:
Kimberly Elms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:03:24 -0700
Since I am very interested in infectious diseases, I took this problem
with zeal.  I have contacted a friend of mine who works for the CDC as
well.  I hope to post by tomorrow some information with references.  In
the interim, from reading and discussions with those on the cutting edge
of research the information is interesting and somewhat divided.  The virus
does not
like acidic or alkaline environs, so tears, sweat, and saliva are not
considered "hot" fluids.  One thing I don't know off hand is the pH of
BM, although we are assuming that it is relatively neutral.  The main
question that we are coming up with is:  if the baby has a bleeding sore
in its mouth could the virus infect through the ducts in the nipple?
Would the risk magnify greatly if the nipple was abraded or cracked?  The
consensus so far is, by all means, test that baby! And it might be frugal
to pump and feed from a bottle until a confirmation.
Also, an interesting side note.  There are some cases where children born
to infected mothers and initially diagnosed HIV+, defeat the infection by
the time they are 10.  Researchers claim this was not misdiagnosis...
More to come,

Kimberly Elms
Arizona State University
kim0777@[log in to unmask]