From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 06:22:59 -0700
Being new to the lactation specialty, I have not yet
seen a lot of stuff that may seem "old hat" to some of
you, but I'd like feedback on what I saw as quite
unusual...a mom with large-ish (between diameter of a
nickel and a quarter) nipples that were hard and
fibrotic.  Nipple length was within a good range, well
everted, but the tissues were not compressible and
Baby was unable to latch.  Surrounding areola was
soft, breasts still soft 48 hours postbirth (MOB got
lots of IV fluids and was edematous), unable to pump
or manually express any colostrum, not even a drop or
two. Is this more common than I realize? Any
experiences, thoughts, or ideas on management of
fibrous nipples would be greatly appreciated!