From:
Janice Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:30:36 -0400
The July/August 1998 issue included an article titled "My Son, the
Militarist," on pages 29-32.  The article (which I really enjoyed!) was
about a nurturing mother whose grown son is a gun aficionado. The article's
focus is how she deals with the battle between motherhood and politics,
since she is liberal, pro-gun control, peace-loving.

Anyway, they did a totally unnecessary graphic of a gun and a bottle. Now if
the article was
about the dangers of mother's milk substitutes, I think these two might be
appropriate alongside one another. HOWEVER, the gun has the label "son" and
the bottle has the label "mother." In other words, the bottle is used to
represent the loving, nurturing mother! And no, bottles weren't mentioned in
the article. This was just the artist's idea of how mother's love should be
represented. :-/

If you don't think this shows good judgment and/or can't believe Utne would
violate the WHO Code, please let them know.
Editor Hugh Delaney: [log in to unmask]
Art Director Lynn Phelps: [log in to unmask]

Janice Berry
Columbus, OH