From:
June Winfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:28:25 -0400
Lots of good information has been offered concerning how we need to be aware
of learning styles when working with moms and dads.
I'd like to add some of the specifics many of us have heard and read over
the years concerning adult learning styles. It may be helpful to remember
these when working with breastfeeding families.

Adult learning styles: (percentages from Neurolinguistic Programming materials)
 Visual  35% of adults - These learners need to see graphs, pictures, etc.
in addition to our words of instruction and care.
 Auditory 25% of adults - These learners need to have written materials also
verbally explained.
 Kinesetic 40% of adults - These learners are using visual and auditory in
combination.
We all use all the above forms but really prefer one or perhaps two of the
methods over the others.

Learning Cone: (from Edgar Dale)
  Reading - 10% retention
  Hearing Words - 20% retention
  Looking at Pictures  -  30%
  Watching a Demo  -  50%
  Participating in a Discussion  -  70%
  Doing the Real Thing  -  90%

Many of us use written Care Instructions for mom to take with her after a
consult for reference in addition to pertinent pamphlets, brochures, etc.
This is using visuals and our auditory explanation of the materials. We are
also familiar with the 'return demo' technique to facilitate better
retention of new material (i.e. positioning, equipment usage).

What I'm trying to get at here, is that we can't just talk, talk to new
mothers about breastfeeding and expect them to get it. We also can't just
hand her an instruction booklet or pamphlet and expect her to get it. We
need to incorporate our information into multiple delivery methods for the
maximum retention. I know we have time constraints and then, of course, we
always have to content with "mush brain" over which we have no control.
(Mush brain--term used by many new mothers in early postpartum period of how
they are feeling.)

It's been fun over the years to put this knowledge of learning styles into
play along with my breastfeeding practice. Bottom line: always use visual
AND auditory methods for the important stuff.

June Hartman Winfield, IBCLC
(now living in Portland, OR and loving the Northwest)