From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:45:53 -0700
Jennifer Tieman mentioned both how inspiring adoptive breastfeeding can be
to moms and also how upset mothers can become when they learn they've gotten
incorrect information.

Just had such a phone call right before reading her message!

Mom has a 5 month old that is nursing only on one side because, she says,
baby preferred it, and by 2 months she realized it had very little milk -
she then saw an OB Nurse Practitioner who told her it was "too late" to
relactate!

Now at 5 months of age, she fears her one breast will be unable to keep up
with her baby's needs and she got my name from another mom I had helped
earlier this year.  She called to find out what she could do...

I went over her history and found that baby is growing and doing very well
on one breast, so I reassured her that it was not necessary to relactate the
other breast...but she said she wants to, so she has "extra" milk.  She is
working only 3 hours a day so far, but fears that if she needs to be away
longer, she won't be able to pump enough milk.

So I explained to her that adoptive moms CAN bring in their milk, and she
can, too, especially as she has a baby who is nursing.  We went over
alternatives she can try, such as pumping while baby is at the other breast
and getting baby to nurse while asleep or "dopey"...

She is going to try these suggestions and will be in contact with our WIC
office and La Leche League Leader for additional support.

However, she is still feeling very angry about the incorrect information she
had been given 4 months ago.  Now, I need to cool down overnight and try to
figure out how to write a letter to the local agency suggesting an "update"
for their staff, as who knows what else has been dispensed as "professional
information"?

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Northern California
...our jobs will never be done, will they?