Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:38:31 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Dear all,
I have been reviewing all the studies for human milk storage in order to update the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine human milk storage protocol. There have never been any studies on refreezing of milk. 
I think refreezing would not be a problem as long as the milk has been handled appropriately. In other words, if the milk has already been at room temp for 8 hours before storing it, I wouldn't freeze, thaw, freeze the milk. 
If the milk sat in the refrigerator for over 4 days before the initial freeze, I also wouldn't freeze-thaw-freeze. In these situations of prolonged room temperature or refrigerator storage, bacterial counts are starting to soar, which increases the risk of growth of pathogens in the milk.
So, if the milk is immediately frozen after expression, or is immediately cooled and stored to the freezer within 2 days, and the milk was thawed in the refrigerator for less than a day, I would think that refreezing would not be a problem.

This is just my opinion, not a formal recommendation. This is something that should be studied!!
Anne Eglash MD

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2