From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 07:44:01 EDT
In a message dated 5/27/02 12:03:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> BTW, just to weigh in on the discussion regarding the transition from LLLL
> to LC, in my first two offers as a LLL leader to moms (5 and 2 week olds
> who
> hadn't latched since birth and hadn't latched at all, respectively) to come
> to my home for an assessment, both moms seemed hesitant until they asked me
> how much I charged.  When I told them it was free, they couldn't believe
> it.
> Both have also been very hesitant to call an LC despite my gushing about
> the
> local LCs and my telling them that, acc. to one of the LCs, her patients
> are
> generally reimbursed by almost all insurances. One of the moms even spent
> $300 on a pump.  Maybe I should put the cost savings in terms of the cost
> of
> formula versus an LC...

Dear Friends:
     While I am happy that mothers can get help and support, a couple of
comments in this post don't quite sit well with me.
     People certainly do need education that it is worth it to hire a LC if
there is a breastfeeding problem. Where do folks get the idea that they will
pay for a physician visit, pay for the car to be tuned up, pay for a clown to
entertain at a birthday party, but let breastfeeding go because they have to
pay for some assistance?
     Secondly, what about scope of practice issues? I am not aware of any
40-training for lactation help where clinical supervision and practice is
part of the training. How could someone provide thorough help without some
modeling of what to do? Our counselors are told that they can see moms at
home when they have malpractice insurance. Sure, I know the situation is
crazy here in the USA; however ignoring it or not dealing with the potential
for harm is less than wise.
     Why in the world would a mom pay for a visit when she can get a visit
for free? How can support for lactation work as a profession be built in this
way?
     I feel that lactation work is on the cusp of becoming a profession. It
is difficult to make the leap because breastfeeding is everybody's business:
a mother, a lay counselor, a CLE, a LLL, a CLC, a IBCLC, a physician, a
nutritionist or dietician, a physician or midwife. Anybody can help. Now as
for the standards guiding that help, or for everyone being clear on what the
roles are, that is as yet an unresolved issue. No wonder the public is
confused, because we are not clear!
     What do you all think?
     Warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE, craniosacral therapy
Adjunct faculty, Union Institute and University, Maternal and Child Health:
Lactation Consulting
Supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative